Friday, August 25, 2017

When I Needed A Paw ....

When I said this was a tough summer, that wasn't even all that this summer entailed. If one animal in our family passing wasn't enough, we had to lose them both. 

The beginning of this summer shortly after we found out that Pumpkin had diabetes, we had to make the unfortunate choice of putting down our sweet girl, Sienna. She had also been having a rough few months- just not eating much of anything and having other stomach issues that were out of the normal for her. We've seen a few vets, taken on the blood test, and did all the x-rays. But nothing was really pointing in our favor for answers. She was acting normal for the most part, still her bouncy loving self. So that's what was making it all so difficult.  

Again, it was just her acting very strange one day that just made Dad think- this is just the end of the road for her and suffering anymore would just be unnecessary. Because as much as she wasn't showing it, she had to be at some extent and a great faker. After a talk with the vet, a decision was made.  We all took our time with her giving her tons of hugs, letting her run freely around the yard, and shedding too many tears. Our leading lady would have to cross the bridge. 



It still stings all the time not to have her in our house, she along with her brother Jake whom my sister with her husband adopted 11 years ago became a big part of our lives. My dad couldn't stand the thought of them having to be separated if that would to happen; so when my sister made the move to the big cities- our house is where they came. To say my Dad loved them would be an understatement, not that he would ever turn down an animal; but his heart surely grew a million sizes when he met these two pups. 

Losing Jake two summers ago was difficult, oddly enough - it was when I had my break up. Sienna and I took many nights running/walking to just ease the pain. We had something in common- losing our boys. I also took a chance on Sienna that summer, letting her explore the world without a leash. Weird- I know- but she's a runner, without her leash we'd assume she'd be in New York. But she proved us all wrong and trotted along side of us around the yard - we wished everyday we had tried it sooner perhaps it was just in timing. 

Who knew that her last year of her life would be filled with endless car rides, tons of running adventures- she surely couldn't have been happier. Maybe it was just how it was meant to be. I miss her everyday- still can't look out my bedroom window without looking down at her kennel waiting for her to be looking up at me with her wiggly butt. The happy thought I keep thinking though is that she's finally with her best friend Jake again, I can't even imagine what their reuniting was like in heaven. Bouncing around and licks for sure. 

When I needed a hand, she surely did give me her paw- time and time again.  

Love you Sienna. 

xo. Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment