Friday, June 17, 2016

Fitness Friday .01

So I haven't been the best blogger this week - I swear my life- is crazier than I thought it was.

Anyways, but I will try my hardest to keep pushing when I can with great posts :)

I'm sitting here almost a week after my last race. What?! I know- I didn't mention I had a race coming up but I will give you a little recap? There isn't much to say. The normal 5k run down.

So last Saturday I participated in the CWC Heartland Day 5k in my hometown.  Leading up to it- I'm not going to lie- I didn't run as much as I probably should have been and I could list a million excuses but simply said- I just didn't get out there.

Allergies this year- for me- have been horrible. Constant stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and best part of all- the worse sore throat ever. I've been to the doctor twice- I swear to them- it has to be strep. It has to be something. Nope- they swear to me it's just allergies. Suck it up buttercup- take your Claritin.

So I've been tackling those- somehow. That morning I woke up with the worse throat ever- and barely any voice. Could I breathe through my nose? Not so much. Could I swallow? Kind of.  Also, did I mention all week long we've had temperatures in the 80s with 100% humidity.  So of course, Saturday was predicted to be the worse all week.

After much thinking- I decided I'd just go down to the park and pick up my packet and head home. There wasn't any reason to make myself sicker.  I got to the park - immediately got jealous- I know I would be mad at myself if I once again dropped out of a race. I decided basically - why the hell not? Grabbed my headset and sunglasses out of the car.   Clipped my bib on, grabbed as much toilet paper as I could crumble up, and got myself to the starting line.  In my head, I know the weather isn't great and hell- I could barely breathe so I would take whatever time I can get. This wasn't going to be my best.


Honestly, it could have been a great race.  My first mile wasn't bad at all, but I'm a sucker and when I see someone walk- I feel I tell myself sometimes I should walk too. I could have gone longer without taking my first walk break. I probably could have taken less walk breaks. My dad had to work, but my mom did catch me a few times along the route. Literally every time she caught me- I was walking. Maybe I'll blame it on her, she cursed me ;)  I didn't walk crazy slow, I utilized my walking for a drink break as well as to blow my nose then hustled back to running.   I didn't finish at all near my best time but it also wasn't my worse. So that made me feel a little better.




Because of the weather, as well as multiple conflicts- this race ended up being rather smaller then normal. I watched the times be placed on the board- I noticed I was the third person to come in in my age group for females. WHAT?! Okay for many reasons this shocked me, I'm in a popular age group- I didn't realize how small the race was either. So I ended up with a shiny medal.  I loved that I placed- how fun is that. But I know had circumstances be different, this wouldn't have been possible at all. So by no means am I letting it distract my thinking that I do need to work harder.

I'm going to get my ass back in to gear. Hopefully stick to some medicine everyday so I get battle these pesty allergies. Take advantage of the outdoors with strength training in the park and swimming at the pool during adult swim hours. Run - of course, like always. I plan to sign up for some more races- just have to do some digging around and my calendar out!

Hope you all been enjoying the wonderful summer and that your allergies haven't gotten you down! 

xo. Renee


No comments:

Post a Comment